SRL & Sport
Example of SRL in Sport
As you know, SRL is comprised of four phases. In this example, we follow Lucas through these four phases.
- Task Understanding : Lucas breaks down what is important in doing the squat clean. He perceives that there are two ways to get under the bar:
- Lift the bar high enough to get it on your shoulders.
- Lift the bar just high enough to get your body under the bar.
- Goal Setting & Planning : Lucas sets a goal to improve his hip extension in the beginning of the movement. To do this, he plans to work on just the start of the squat clean, called the pull.
- Strategy Enactment : Lucas uses mental cues such as, “arms like chains” to remind himself to use his hip extension in order to get the weight up.
- Adapting : Lucas monitors his performance against how he knows the movement is supposed to feel. He keeps a journal with notes on how he does each day. When he runs into problems, he asks a coach for help.
In your athletic training, you likely go through these steps too. Take some time to reflect on how you go through these phases. Pick a skill or drill that you’ve done recently & fill in this SRL in Sport Chart to show how you engage the SRL processes.