The following are a few academic references that examine the model of self-regulated learning and SRL and athletes.
- Cleary, T. J. & Zimmerman, B. J. (2001). Self-regulation differences during athletic practice by experts, non-experts, and novices. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 13, 185-206.
- Jonker, L., Elferink-Gemser, M. T., Toering, T. T., Lyons, J., & Visscher, C. (2010). Academic performance and self-regulatory skills in elite youth soccer players. Journal of Sport Sciences, 28, 1605-1614. doi:10.1080/02640414.2010.516270.
- Jonker, L., Elferink-Gemser, M. T., & Visscher, C. (2009). Talented athletes and academic achievements: A comparison over 14 years. High Ability Studies, 20, 55-64. doi:10.1080/13598130902863691.
- Kane, T. D., Marks, M. A., Zaccaro, S. J., & Blair, V. (1996). Self-efficacy, personal goals, and wrestlers’ self-regulation. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 18, 36-48.
- Kitsantas, A., & Zimmerman, B. J. (2002). Comparing self-regulatory processes among novice, non-expert and expert volleyball players: A microanalytic study. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 14, 91-105.
- Martin, J. J. (2002). Training and performance self-efficacy, affect, and performance in wheelchair road racers. The Sport Psychologist, 16, 384-395.
- Winne, P. H., & Hadwin, A. F. (1998). Studying as self-regulated learning. In D. J. Hacker, J. Dunlosky, A. C. Graesser (Eds.), Metacognition in Educational Theory and Practice. (pp. 277-304). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Winne, P. H., & Hadwin, A. F. (2008). The weave of motivation and self-regulated learning. In D. Schunk & B.J. Zimmerman (eds.), Motivation and self-regulated learning: Theory, research, and applications (pp. 297-314). Mahwah, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum.